I know this is one thing many Christians struggle with, finding time to read the Bible every day. There are so many distractions around us, like our phones, social media, TV, food, games, friends and family, our careers, and you name it. They all take chunks of our time and we forget to put God first sometimes. For some, they only have time for Him on Sunday. And for others, only when they feel like. We need to remember, God is the Great God (Psalm 95:3), He’s the King of Kings and He is who He is. He created this world and all the wonders of creation. He’s THE ALMIGHTY. He’s worthy to be praised. He created you for a particular reason, whether you know it or not (yet). So we need to honor Him every day in all we do, and with our time. That involves prayer, spending time with Him in His word, and praise and worship. So, should you read your Bible everyday? Absolutely! You need to make time for it everyday. 🙂 Here’s why.
“STARVE YOUR DISTRACTIONS. FEED YOUR FOCUS”
Throughout the Bible we are instructed to read and meditate on His words daily. There are many benefits that come out of it which are listed below. Jesus says, in John 15:7, that not only should we abide in Him, but His words should also abide in us! And guess what? If we do that, we can ask for whatever we wish and it will be done for us! God’s word is an important tool we need every day as believers. It’s a guide on how we should live and God’s instructions to us. It causes us to be more fruitful as believers, which glorifies God. If you find yourself always angry, getting disturbed by the smallest things, fearful, no peace, mean and selfish to others, and having a lack of self-control, I encourage you to consistently keep in the word of God, hear it, and understand it. It’ll change you and the love of God in you will perfected. Perfect love (God’s love) does all that. If you’re sick, or hurting, or whatever it is, there’s healing, encouragement, love, joy and whatever you need in God’s word!
I have a question for you. Do you love God? Really, do you? Do your actions show that? Do your words, heart and mind show that too? His word tells us, in 1 John 5:3, that love for God is obeying His commandments. His commandments are His word to us, that is, the Bible. The test for knowing Him is in whether we keep His commandments (1 John 2:3). His word says that if we say we know Him but don’t keep His commands or still hate a brother, we are liars and are still living in darkness (1 John 2:1-11). There are many people out there who call themselves believers and are still walking and living in the flesh and darkness, thinking they are in the light as this scripture tells us. It’s sad. I mean, even the devil and his demons believe in the Lord and tremble by His name (James 2:19) but obviously they don’t obey Him. This is why reading God’s word is important in our daily lives, so that we may know the truth. God’s truth. The only truth. Many are deceived and blinded, hence stay in darkness. But thank God for His grace that we are all saved if we turn from sin and live by faith in, His Son, Jesus Christ. Reading God’s word keeps us in check, it’s uplifting, and it guides us. It’s also God’s way of talking to us and leading us to walk a clean/pure path. Do you think walking a clean/pure path is impossible? No, it’s not. Psalm 119:9 tells us that in order for that to happen, we have to live according to His word. So yes, we NEED to read His word daily.
A few benefits of reading God’s word:
- It’s a guide for you so that you may be able to observe and do everything according to all that is written in it (Joshua 1:8).
- The word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).
- It is a weapon in battle, the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17).
- It’ll increase your level of faith (Romans 10:17).
- The more you read it, abide in it, walk by it, and store it in your heart, you’ll start hating evil things and avoiding sin (Psalms 119:11), through Him that strengthens you.
- It’s stored in your heart and in your mouth, that you may do it (Deuteronomy 30:14).
- The word of God is God breathed (1 Timothy 3:16) and it’s His word to us! So when you read it, you’re taking life into you. Remain in that life.
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth!! (John 1:1-14).
- The words of God are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh (Proverbs 4:22).
- It’s a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path (Psalm 119:105).
- If you keep His word, the love of God is perfected in you. And by this you will know that you are in Him (1 John 2:5).
I encourage you to continuously read God’s word and meditate on it day and night. It is your spiritual food, since you are walking in the Spirit and are in Christ. Be willing and committed to God, because the devil is out there to take away the word sown in your heart (Matthew 13:19), plus all these worldly desires, distractions, deceitfulness of riches, vanity, and cares of the world will choke the word out of you if you remain in them (Matthew 13:18-23). You’ll find that as you read more of the word, it’ll change you from within, change the way you speak, think, act, and your outlook on life. It’ll align your new ways with God’s ways. Be blessed!
“YOUR RESULTS ARE A PRODUCT OF EITHER PERSONAL FOCUS OR PERSONAL DISTRACTIONS. THE CHOICE IS YOURS”
God Loves YOU!